The Peutinger Map
The map is named after the scholar and monk Konrad Peutinger (1465-1547), who inherited the original Roman Map in 1508 and then made copies of it. The original that was made of 12 segments was almost 7 meters long and 34 centimeters broad and is presumed to have been lost. In any case no one knows where it is. It dates from the 4th century A.D.
However copies were preserved and also engravings of these were made later in the middle ages. One of which is now in the possession of the Museum.
The Peutinger Map has been carefully restored and is now on display in the Katwijk Museum. It is a copy of an old Roman road-map from the 4th century on which the routes through the Empire between the towns and forts are schematically given. One can identify the whole area between Great Britain and India.
This extraordinary copy from 1652 was originally published in a book, from which it was unfortunately later removed.
The engravings of the sections of the map are spread over four pages. On each page two sections have been printed, under each other. It can be seen that the sections should be alongside each other, as those on the subsequent pages also. At the North-western edge - top left - Lugunum Batavorum (Katwijk) and Praetorium Agrippinae (Valkenburg) are clearly given, the latter by means of a special icon for an important military post.
The original Map of Peutinger, copied in the middle ages, is preserved in Vienna. In itself, this is a copy of the original Roman map which has been lost. The Roman original was described as being an almost 7 metre long roll - which was copied smaller and split up into 8 sections, to enable the engravings to be published in book-form.
A separate room has been allocated to the copy of the Map owned by the Museum. When it was first displayed in itís new show-case, the map showed shadows of contours in the paper under the special illumination. It was decided to let a specialized restorer flatten out these inequalities to better itís appearance, as now can be seen.